DTC P0171 OR P1170 WITH OR WITHOUT LACK OF POWER
Some vehicles may exhibit MIL illumination with any of the following
symptoms: DTC P0171, DTC P1170, lack of power, hesitation, unstable
idle. These conditions may be caused by contamination of the mass air
flow sensor wires.
Customers having this concern should have their vehicles inspected
using the following procedure.
1. Verify customer concern.
2. Record DTC and Freeze Frame Data.
3. Inspect intake system for vacuum leaks.
4. Identify production date on MAF sensor.
* If MAF sensor has a production date before 07B27 (July 27, 2000)
proceed to STEP 5.
* If sensor has a production date on or after 07B27 (July 27, 2000)
this Service Bulletin does not apply, Refer to Workshop manual
for further diagnostic procedures.
Date stamp is located on top of sensor. (See published S/B for Illus.)
1st digit=month 01-12, 2nd digit=year (T=98,U=99,B=00) and the
3rd = day 01-31. Example 7b27 = 7/00/27 or 7/27/2000
5. Clean surface surrounding MAF sensor.
6. Replace MAF sensor.
Note: Make sure O-ring is correctly positioned on the replacement
MAF sensor before installation.
* Do not allow water to enter MAF sensor connector.
* Handle replacement MAF sensor with care.
7. Inspect air cleaner and correct any unfiltered air leaks caused by:
* Improperly positioned air cleaner element and/or deformed seal.
* Broken tabs, cracks and/or deformities of the air cleaner.(box)
8. DISCONNECT NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE OR PULL INJ FUSE TO ERASE AND
MAF Sensor - ZL01-13-215
Copyright © Mazda North American Operations